- Retain and if necessary restore the original plaster on the walls.
- Ventilate the building during the week.
- Keep the church clean and tidy.
- Use the correct cleaning materials for each particular surface in the church.
- Keep valuable items and church records in a safe place.
- Photograph plate, furnishings and stained glass windows.
- Keep a record of damage and repairs.
- Remember to keep the heating serviced.
- Draw up a five year plan for works, bearing in mind that a phased programme is better for the building and easier for the parish to finance.
- Prioritise each task, cost it and put aside the funds for the work.
- Remove or discard original furniture and artefacts.
- Remove original lime plaster from walls.
- Destroy old church records.
- Ignore security.
- Forget fire precautions.
- Ignore stains on plaster.
- Clean stained glass windows unless under expert supervision.